VISAs and Work Permits#


To be eligible for an internship (“stage”), the student must be registered in a program of study in their home country.

  • The internship is < 120 days: You don’t need a work permit

  • The internship is >= 120 days: You will need to get a work permit (document fédéral). To get a work permit, you will need to have a “Certificat d’Acceptation du Quebec” (CAQ, provincial document). However, an exemption for CAQ is possible in 2 cases:

    • You are eligible to participate in the Programme Expérience Internationale Canada, which allows you to get a work permit specific for internships (stagiares), without needing CAQ

    • Your school has a partnership with Ecole Polytechnique Montreal

To apply for a work permit, you will need to have a letter of invitation from Polytechnique. You will receive this letter after you have filled out the internship form. To fill out the form, I suggest putting the start/end dates a bit earlier/later than your internship. For example, start 3 weeks before your internship starts, and end 3 weeks after; this will give you time to settle in (the dates of your work permit are based on this invitation letter).

It should take around 8 weeks to get your work permit.


You will need a work permit. For further information contact the postdoc association at Polytechnique: